A U.S. woman vacationing in Bali was so enchanted by a tiny octopus she found in the ocean that she picked up and played with the blue-accented creature for 20 minutes, capturing the whole thing on video. What she didn’t realize was how lucky she was.
It turns out the ocean dweller that Kaylin Phillips played with was a blue-ringed octopus, which defends itself by injecting a deadly venom into its victims, experts say. The venom acts as a neurotoxin that causes respiratory arrest in mere minutes. “I actually held two of them in the same day,” says Phillips, whose video garnered 5.7 million views on TikTok. “I tried to feed them oranges for a solid 20 minutes.”
She almost died. https://t.co/XOJKdeZ84Y
— David Goldstein (@dlopan) March 23, 2021
Phillips says she didn’t find out how deadly the octopus was until after the fact. Once she did, she was so shaken she called her dad, “crying,” she says. One commenter wrote online, “You’ve used up all your luck on that one.”
Have you ever come face-to-face with a deadly creature?
Subscribe to X96's News!
Get the latest music news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.