Life

BYU Student Nearly Blows Up Dorm while Making Rocket Fuel

At least 22 students have been displaced after a Brigham Young University resident nearly blew up his dorm while making rocket fuel.

The incident happened Sunday afternoon when the unnamed student took a bunch of common items he’d purchased and followed online instructions to attempt to make the fuel, says BYU Police Lieutenant Jeff Long. That’s when a fireball shot up from the pot, covering the walls and ceiling around the stove with flames and triggering the building’s sprinkler system, Long says. The Provo Fire Department arrived a short time later and extinguished the blaze.

Long says the student, 22, did not have permission to make rocket fuel and the project wasn’t a class assignment. “It was definitely poor judgment on this person,” he says. “He didn’t think this through.”

What’s the worst trouble you caused in college?

Download X96's App



Join X96's email list for information about concerts, contests, and more!

* indicates required

Author

  • X96

    X96 is Utah's Original Alternative. It is self-aware. It is ingrained. It plays bands like Panic! at the Disco, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Cure, and Muse. It's part of a healthy diet and it's why native Utahns are so stout and stalwart. Listen and become part of it and it will become part of you.

Comments
To Top